Saturday, February 9, 2013

Nadine's Dad and I....


It's been almost three years since another man had almost caused a major rift between Nadine and I, and it wasn’t like we were both fighting over some guy…it was worse, her father had been the bone of contention, how? He just couldn’t keep it in his pants. With more money than they could spend, her father was used to getting his way in general and with women in particular, and from the minute he saw me, a roll in the hay was all he could think of (you’d think Nadine and I looking like sisters would deter him), but the randy old goat was and still is a randy old goat, the good part is, he has decided to go stick it elsewhere!

We had just started work on our third client and she was a relative of Nadine’s, as part of his contribution to his niece’s wedding, Nadine’s father decided to hire us to plan the wedding. As a rule, when it comes to family and personal friends, we always allowed the other handle it, so being Nadine’s family, I had to handle the financial details, which meant talking to her cousin sometimes, and ultimately picking up our cheque from Chief, her father.

I had met Chief a number of times, at functions and he knew me as his daughter’s business partner, so going to his office to get a cheque did not seem like a big deal, but on getting there, from the hostile reception I got from his secretary (I can bet my partnership, that he was and probably still is sleeping with her) and from all the gist I had been hearing about Chief, his escapades and his famous generosity to his women, I started thinking maybe coming here was a mistake, but then I thought, I am just picking up a cheque, what’s the worst that could happen?

I waited for a while, he was in a meeting and he had some other people waiting to see him, but finished with them and even attended to those I got there before, I was really getting upset, I hated being kept at the reception like I was coming there to collect an allowance from a sugar daddy. Eventually, he finished with them all and asked me to come in.
“My dear, I am so sorry to have kept you waiting” he gushed giving me a hug that seemed a bit far from fatherly “have you had lunch, I am famished”
“Not yet sir, but i…..” I tried to say I would have lunch at the office but he interrupted…
“Then you must join me for lunch, I am just about to head for REEDS on Awolowo Road”
I looked at my Cartier, it was almost 4pm, I was actually hungry, so I said okay. And as we got to the car park, chief insisted that there was no point taking my car, after lunch we would come back here and I could pick my car. It made sense, because my office was on the opposite side, which meant I would still have to drive down this way, with all this fuel wahala, why waste mine.
I figured he would give me the cheque after lunch, but as we descended Falomo bridge from V.I, he asked the driver to drive straight to a place that sounded more like a guest house/ hotel.
“sir, I thought we were going to REEDS, staying on the bridge means we are heading towards Kingsway” I said. He just smiled and said,” I know a better place, it’s very private and really comfortable”

As he said those words private and comfortable, I could detect from the undertone and that ever familiar glint in the eyes of a man when all he can think of is how to get to the fastest place for a quick fix, like my friend Nandir would say, because according to her, a man with a hard on is like a junkie in need of a fix.
“Chief, I have a lot of work to do back at the office, so maybe if you could just sign the cheque, I can easily grab a cab, go pick up my car and head straight back” I said trying to act cool about it, the last thing I wanted was for Chief to say anything, to avoid that uncomfortable feeling. Much like when a guy who is your buddy suddenly falls in love with you, you know he is looking for a chance to tell you, so you do everything to make sure he never says it, because you know your answer is going to affect your friendship.
Then he put his hand on my laps! “sir, please lets act like this is not happening, I really don’t want to be disrespectful, you are like a father to me” I said, barelytrying to contain my anger and disgust.
“But I do not see you as a daughter” he said shamelessly “you should be used to men falling at your feet, with a body like yours…what man can resist” his cheesy line were as repulsive as he was right now, all I could think of was getting out of the car, then he made a very stupid move....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think.